I have the fondest memories of playtime in my mom’s closet when I was younger. From trying on her high heels to draping my little self in her scarves, playing dress-up in her closet (often without her knowledge) was the most fun. Later, as a teenager, I would repurpose some of her vintage clothing because it was always right on trend. More importantly, I watched her. And, without even knowing it, I learned 5 important style lessons from her along the way.
For details on these looks, see Like Mother, Like Daughter: Celebrating in Lilly
5 Style Lessons I Learned From My Mom
1. Embrace colors and prints. It’s no secret that I adore bright colors and bold prints. I learned to be fearless about those style choices by watching my mom. She always encouraged me to push the envelope as it related to style as well. Now, that comes easy.
2. Buy pieces you could imagine loving forever and do just that, love them forever. I was a witness to the infinite value of timeless pieces. I now gravitate towards them myself.
3. Always pay attention to the details. From choosing the right accessories to making sure items fit impeccably well, my mother taught me that details, no matter how small, matter.
For details on these looks, see Like Mother, Like Daughter: All White Style
4. Net worth doesn’t equal net style. This lesson was so crucial that it became my blog motto. My mom showed me how to identify quality pieces at any price point. She sewed all the clothing for my dolls, so I learned about things like fabric, stitching, and silhouette very early.
5. Style can be an important connector. My mom works in the travel industry. On any given day, she encounters people from all over the world. I got to listen to stories of conversations (and even friendships) sparked simply by something someone was wearing. “Are those Kendra Scott earrings you’re wearing? ”
Happy Mother’s Day to all of you moms!